Simple Ways To Save Your Back
Simple and Inexpensive Ways One Can Do to Save One's Back and lessen the pain for those who already are suffering:
Lying Down/Sleeping & Getting Up from Bed:
- Lay down on your side or back, never on your stomach.
- Place a pillow in between your knees when sleeping sideways, or behind your knees when sleeping on your back.
- Get up sideways, not from your back.
- Slightly tuck your chin and use both arms in pushing your body up from your bed..
Before Brushing Teeth or Washing Face:
- When just fresh out of bed, warm your body up by walking (or marching) around the house before brushing your teeth or washing your face.
- Bend your knees.
- Lean front of your thighs and lower portion of your body on the bathroom sink cabinet for added support, before proceeding on these mentioned activities.
Bending & Lifting:
- If possible, bend with your knees not your trunk .
- Tuck your chin in slightly as you get up and down the chair, bed, toilet, or when entering and exiting your car.
- Twisting your trunk while lifting, should be avoided as much as possible; however, in odd and difficult occasions where and when twisting is unavoidable, tuck your chin in slightly.
- When Lifting: Tuck your chin in slightly, bend with your knees, and keep your elbows close to your body (to avoid added stress and pressure on your shoulder, neck, and shoulder/arm joints).
Coughing & Sneezing:
- Bring your lower arm and inner elbow to cover your mouth (up front).
- Slightly tuck your chin in as you cough or sneeze.
- As much as possible, avoid twisting your neck/head when coughing (instead, turn your whole body around, when trying to avoid coughing on anyone). You avoid a lot of unnecessary back and neck agony by developing this habit.
- Do not slouch!
- Do not sit with your wallet in your pant's back pocket.
- Neck, shoulders, upper back pain, and headaches will be the most common symptoms for those who are glued / addicted to it. Minimize texting as much as possible, and not at all when driving and walking. Accidents happen in a blink of an eye and could change life drastically...while words and people reading those words, can always wait.
- When available and possible, prop your arms up with pillow(s), on a table, or objects to keep your Smartphone or pads at eye level to avoid unnecessary strain on your neck , upper back, shoulders, and arms (Same with reading books and studying).
- You should be facing your TV upfront not sideways.
- Avoid placing your things on the floor, keep things at easily reachable level.
Maintain and develop Proper Posture and habits as much as possible.
Do not play Superman or Wonder Woman with your back! Should you forget everything what's written above, do not forget this last tip. wink